4G's successor is already on its way to get launched in 2018 by Swedish-Finnish mobile service provider TeliaSonera, and Swedish telecommunications company Ericsson. The 5th Generation Mobile Network will soon be seen implemented in Stockholm and Tallinn. This article explains some of the very basic non technical facts about 5G mobile network , which every common man should know. Such as What is it? How can it help you? What are its advantages? What are its implementation complexities? Applications of 5G Network?
On 22nd January 2016 TeliaSonera and Ericsson came in the news with the statement that they will be be the first to launch 5G Services in Stockholm (Sweden) and Tallinn (Estonia). On the other hand, Fran Shammo, Verizon's CFO, stated that their company is planing to be the first to launch 5G by the end of 2016 in the U.S. These are the statements of some of the high ranking officials of the companies, who are far away from the real technical facts and the fact is 5G is still under development and experimental phase. Most of the policies and standards which 5G networks has to follow are not yet finalized. Companies like Vodafone and DOCOMO are planning to switch their networks to 5G by 2020 in some countries, which is a realistic deadline for complete formation of standards governing 5G networks. Now who wins the race of being the 1st network to launch 5G, will soon come to light within next few months / years. But here are some facts which a common man should know about 5G mobile networks.
Top 6 Facts about 5G Mobile Network:
- 5G is the next generation of broadband technology which will be used in mobile networks to support Internet with speed of > 1 Gbps. Researchers are way ahead of this and are targeting to achieve speeds in the range 10-20 Gbps.
- Almost 0 Latency, actually a latency of < 1ms. Latency of a 4G network is 50ms which is half of a 3G network. You can understand latency by the example that, it is the time it takes for data to go from your mobile to server when you open a web page. However as this time is in millisecond, a person cannot feel this delay but requirements of 5G are to have almost 0 latency.
- With such huge speed and low latency you can even watch a 4K, 8K and 3D videos on your mobile phone without buffering. (If the phone supports it.)
- Researchers in the area of Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR) and Internet of Things (IoT) are eagerly waiting for this service so as to utilize it in their field.
- It has a capacity to connect up to Ten Lakhs or 1 Million connection in an area of one square kilometer. Connecting almost everything to Internet or everything on mobile.
- 5G is expected to work on higher frequencies (above 60000MHz). Experiments are going on at 73000MHz. Higher frequencies have a potential to provide higher data rates, which is the primary requirement of 5G but along with that the main disadvantage of such higher frequencies is that, they have a very short range and cannot pass through walls. Now how does this affects your life? Short range means, many mobile towers are to be installed close to each other for covering all small areas. It may be on every other building, otherwise you will not get coverage. So many towers will need lot of resources for maintenance and this will give extra cost to mobile company. This cost will reflect in your monthly mobile bill and 5G Data Pack recharges. After paying the huge bill, you will still have to go near a window to get coverage from tower installed on the top of next building.
Go to Second Page and get to know the Applications of 5G Technology.
- Next >>